February 2, 2011

Getting My Feet Wet


I work 60 hours a week as a car salesperson, where there is limited opportunity to get creative.  Art, for me is a way to maintain what little sanity I have left.
Through the encouragement of one of my creative daughters, I have decided to take a stab a blogging some of the “crafts” I have been doing lately.
I am a fairly active member of Craftster.  It is a great way to get involved in creating at a controllable level and to not feel so isolated as an artist/crafter.  Craftster offers swaps with themes so you can do a super simple one or jump in with both feet. If you have never swapped you might want to check out the website it’s really fun and rewarding.
I have just finished a swap using matchboxes.  I chose it because of the size and I figured it would be a no stress project.  I was right it was so much fun!
The swap parameters stated that you should fill a small matchbox (the tiny ones that wooden matches come in – not the big box of kitchen matches) with as much stuff as you can and get it there by a certain date. 
I did some detective work and discovered that my “partner” was interested in Nancy Drew books, liked mushrooms, like to create  “inchies”, does papercrafts and crochets. 
I was so excited that I actually had the perfect Nancy Drew book in my own book case and scanned it then sized it down using Photoshop.  The crocheted mushroom was a bit of a challenge as I used three strands of sewing thread and an incredibly small crochet hook. (there may have been a few unladylike words used in the process).  It became a magnet.
So here is what I came up with . . .
The second matchbox partner had some amazing things on her WIST. I decided to create a tiny magnet Matryoshka doll out of felt.  There was a lot of hand sewing and detail work.  I made a necklace with an owl charm.  I had the most fun making the miniature drop spindle and it even has Merino wool that I spun myself.
I found a printable micro scale 18th Century house online from About.com (here is the link to the original design).  I had to make many adjustments to the original design in order to have it fit the matchbox.  The assembled house was glued on top of the matchbox.  I then used a print of stones to represent the foundation of the house.
Here is the second matchbox . . .
I am already working on another swap.  This one has a Gnome theme.  I will post pictures when I have it completed.
So how am I doing so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment